Bingham

Bingham

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Weekend BlogLog - June 6th

We had a little bit of the good this weekend and a little bit of the bad this weekend. The good stuff first... Friday night Rick went kite boarding while I went shopping. We then headed up to San Francisco to a party with our single friends. Our friend Erica had a going away party. It was fun to see friends and to be social. 

Saturday, my dad, Terry and Lauren who was visiting from out of town came over and we all went to Alameda Beach. We had nice hot, sunny weather. It was great. We had a BBQ on the beach with our new Mighty Grill that we got for our wedding. We grilled some Caribbean jerk chicken and some vegetables. The weather was perfect for kite boarding so Rick was able to show off his stuff. My family was enthralled by his very large kite and his new kite boarding skills. There were so many kite boarders out in the water, it made for the perfect day to watch. 

Sunday night we had company over for the first time. We invited a few couples over to play some games. Unfortunetly we did not have our camera with us this weekend so no fun pictures. Oh yeah, we also went to a Giants/Mets game in the city this week with our friends from the ward - it was fun!

The bad stuff second... Rick headed to the church Saturday morning for his new calling and the Subaru over heated and shut down. I wasn't able to pick him up because when we returned from Mexico the Land Rover had a flat tire. The tire was so flat that we weren't able to drive it, plus we realized that it was so worn down that you could see the medal wires poking through. Rick waited for the car to cool down and took it in and fixed it up. One down, one to go.

My dad brought his air compressor over so we could fill the tire with air and drive it to the shop for new tires. We used the battery to make the air compressor work, not realizing that it would run the battery down. We now had a flat tire and a dead battery. We thought about changing the tire and using the full size spare tire. Unfortunetly, Land Rover sold me a car with out the tire iron, and this being the first time changing the tire, I had to find out the hard way. We thought, no problem, Terry has AAA. AAA was scheduled to come about 9:00ish on Saturday night. This was not a quick simple solution of course, with this car being a Land Rover. AAA did not have a tire iron big enough for the lug nuts on the LR wheels and told us that we would need to call someone who handled commercial vehicles which is not covered under regular AAA. Fortunetly Rick found some tools to do the job and close to midnight the AAA guy was so ready to leave our parking garage. We headed straight to the gas station to get gas since the gas light was on and we had to let the car run for a little while since the battery had been dead. Of course the battery died again at the gas station and the spare tire needed more air.

Finally Sunday came along and we thought we were good in the car department, however a slight misunderstanding in communication resulted in our one set of keys getting locked into the Subaru. We discovered this at midnight when I was packing for my business trip the next morning and looking for the car keys. I needed to be at the SF airport at 5:00am the next morning and our Subaru car keys were locked in the car. The LR was out of the questions since it was being blocked in by the Subaru. Rick and I tried breaking into the Subaru for a few hours. Finally at 2:ooam I went to bed (since I had an important in-person meeting the following day with the largest food company in the world). Rick, my sweet husband told me the problem would be solved when I woke up. Locksmiths at that hour are outrageous and a taxi to the airport was $100. My alarm goes off at 3:45am and sure enough Rick was not next to me. I ran down stairs to the parking garage in a panic, thinking I needed to call a cab immediately so I can make my flight. As I opened the door to the parking garage Ricky had just gotten the car open. It took him 4 hours to break into the Subaru. I made my flight, and although I probablly looked pretty bad for my meeting, I walked in there with my black power suit and rocked that meeting! I am hoping the car troubles are over for a little while!

1 comment:

Erica said...

holy smokes! i was on the edge of my seat for the finale of your story. i'm so glad you were able to make it to your meeting and that rick had success!

also, thanks so much for stopping by last week. it was great to see you guys...i wish i could spend more time chatting w/ friends, but juggling b/t people had to happen.

keep me posted via blog!