Bingham

Bingham

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

TIMBER



Like I said earlier - Don't get a Christmas tree that is over 10 feet tall, actually let's say 8 feet just to be safe. 

Timber! That is right, it happened. I walked into the house after work one night and my mouth dropped and my heart skipped a beat. Our very big Christmas tree (that took me so long to decorate  - 3 nights) was lying flat on the floor. There was shattered glass everywhere from the new christmas bulbs that I had just bought. That wasn't the only devestation, I walked around to the back and sure enough all the water in the stand that I had so diligently kept full had spilt all over my beautifully wrapped christmas gifts. I had spent hours wrapping about 40 presents in nice gold paper and beautiful ribbon and they were all soaking wet. I unwrapped them only to find a lot of wet clothes. Luckily the gifts were mostly for family members so we let them dry out and explained what had happened.
 

My dad and Terry came over that night to help Rick take care of the tree. Terry and I cleaned up all the broken ornaments and tried to save as much as we could. My dad and Rick spent the rest of the evening screwing in a large piece of plywood to the bottom of the Christmas tree stand and bolted the tree to the ceiling.
It took us a few days to get the tree re-decorated and luckily we had some help. Becky who is one of my favorite people to decorate trees with, was in town. We have been decorating Christmas trees together since 2000. Ben one of Rick's best friends was lucky enough to be in town visiting and was able to join in as well. The tree ended up looking okay. However, we never replaced all the new ornaments that broke, so the only part of the tree that ended up decorated was the front. The sides and back were pretty bare. 

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow! What a experience and one you would always remember about your first Christmas tree as a married couple.

Tanya McKibben said...

How sad! So much work. At least it looks beautiful, and yes, you will always remember your first tree in your loft.

Sara said...

I'm so sorry! Maybe I should be glad we didn't get a Christmas tree this year. You still made it look beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry it looked amazing! Just another memory for your grandkids!