Bingham

Bingham

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 4 - Dominican Repbulic

We woke up, packed up our stuff and changed rooms. We went from a large bungalow to a room with a bathroom and a kitchenette on the front patio area. We didn't really need all the space in the bungalow so we decided to switch to the room which was half the price (not that either were expensive but why not, a little extra money for my amber).



We drove to the other side of town to Playa Rincon, which is one of the top ten beaches in the Caribbean. It took us a little while to get there. The road was a rocky dirt road and our little car barely made it. I was pretty impressed with its four wheel drive capabilities. One part of the road was flooded and we were pretty nervous that our little low to the ground car would not make it. Rick got enough speed and plowed right through it. The water came rushing over the top of the car. The picture doesn't do it justice.



We finally made it to the beach and it was a long white sandy beach with palm trees and clear, light blue water. The great thing about this beach was no reef, just a nice sandy bottom. This made it very enjoyable for swimming. I'd much rather swim in the ocean with a sandy bottom than a reef, when you touch your feet down you get all cut up. We swam around and played in the water and loved spending time together. Life can't get much better than being in a beautiful ocean, swimming around with your best friend and love of your life. If I was a millionaire that is exactly what I would be doing and where I would be. We did a little snorkeling but obviously there wasn't too much to see with a sandy bottom.



This was the perfect beach to bust out the dinghy. We got it all pumped up and ready to go and then a big gust of wind took the dinghy straight to the coconut tree debris, and sure enough it slowly started loosing it's air. We got it in the water to see if we could find the hole and patch it up with our patch kit. I laid on it, and Rick swam around it with his snorkel and mask. To our dismay, we were not able to find the hole (we will repair it when we get home, we aren't willing to let it go).



It was an enjoyable day on the beach, we were the only ones around.



A Dominican man rode his motorbike along the beach to where we were to let us know that he had a restaurant down at the other end of the beach if we wanted something to eat. Later in the day we walked down to his restaurant which consisted of a bunch of blue tarps held up by some old logs and a campfire in the middle.



They had fish and lobster. We picked out the fish that we wanted and they cooked it up for us. They served us some amazing fresh fish and rice. It was good.




We came back into town, showered up and headed out to explore the main street or the only street in town. We looked around the shops. I bought a few bracelets that I love. They are very native to the land, so are fun to have. We also bought a deck of DR cards which is a travel tradition I have (I have a ton of cards from all over).

We went to a restaurant called Le Adventures Pizzeria. It was a nice pizza place where we ordered a big ham pizza. It was good. We played cards while we were there waiting for our food. We love playing games at restaurants in other counties. It is so fun!

No comments: