Monday, August 3, 2009
Roller Coaster Ride
We've been on an emotional roller coaster for the last six months and finally just finished our ride. As you know, the beginning of our ride started at the end of January when we lost our first little bun - an experience that was both physically and emotionally painful. The next big bump was in May when we thought we were loosing our second little bun. Luckily for us, it was just hemorrhaging from a condition called complete placenta previa. Placenta previa lead to bed rest a few times, lots of bleeding, no exercise, cautiousness, and a lot of stress.
Only July 24th we went in for our 20 week ultra sound to check on the little bun and his progress as well as the placenta previa. To our surprise, just three weeks after having heavy bleeding for two weeks straight the placenta had moved completely out of the way. Typically this big of a move takes place over the term of your pregnancy, for us it disappeared within three weeks. Obviously we were blessed and our prayers were answered. However, after surviving that bump on the ride we hit another one. During the ultra sound Rick noticed some differences in our little bun's heart. He noticed that the left side was n0t functioning like the right side was. Sure enough we got a call on Monday morning from the Stanford Children's Hospital Heart Center. They wanted to do more testing on our little guy's heart. They told us that the ultra sound showed that he had a small left heart valve, and they scheduled us for an Echocardiogram.
After spending time on Google, we were more concerned and worried with what we saw and heard. A small left heart valve could be one of the most serious heart diseases a baby could have and it has a significant mortality rate. On top of all this stress we were in a car accident this week. Someone rear ended us while we were stopped and waiting to turn left (luckily it didn't put us in to labor).
Friday morning we went to the Stanford Children's Hospital for our test. I was pretty emotional. It was difficult walking through the halls, past the Children's Transplant Center, then the Children's Blood Disease and Cancer Center on to the Children's Heart Center. It took a lot to hold back my tears for all those little ones spending time in that place. We did our Echocardiogram and then waited in the room for the lady to come back. She came back and told us the doctor has requested more pictures for a better look. This scared us (they did this to us 3 times when they diagnosed us with placenta previa). After the second round of tests we waited in the room for what seemed like forever for the doctor to come in and discuss the results with us. Sure enough the heart specialist came in and told us that our little guy's heart looked perfectly normal and healthy with nothing wrong at all. What a relief. The roller coaster ride is finally over. We got to the car and I couldn't hold back me tears (a pregnant lady has way to many emotions) and we said a little prayer thanking the Lord for another answer to our prayers and a blessing in our lives.
Now that things are normal, it's back to the gym, the pool and our daily routine. We are hoping our last half of the pregnancy is our best half!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
GOOD LUCK! Sorry about all that. I remember just being so relieved to get Finn out and to find out that he was perfect. But seriously, don't read all of those potential problems that they write in pregnancy books, they always made me worry what possibly could go wrong. And I think they should make bumper stickers that say, "pregnant woman driving, be careful." I'm such a nerd and totally got one of those "baby on board" signs for our car
So glad that your post had a happy ending! You deserve much happiness, Corene. I enjoy following your pregnancy updates and look forward to meeting your little guy, via the internet! Hugs from Texas! Love, Donna
Glad to hear everything looks fine... thoughts and prayers for a happy healthy baby in a few months.
That is such great news! I am so glad to hear that things are going well. You look so darling pregnant. Can't wait to meet your little one!
I agree with Alice--don't read all the stuff that talks about potential problems. You're going to love that baby so much more than you can imagine, no matter how he comes to you! We got rear-ended when our Li'l Mil was only 2 weeks old...luckily, no harm was done. Glad to hear that everything is looking golden for the second half of your pregnancy!! Now just work on keeping your cravings at bay ;)
uuuuuhh. That was a roller coaster just reading your story. Woo hoo for a happy ending. Take it easy and power through. I'm so excited your little guy is tough: just like his mom. cheers.
What a relief (and answer to prayers). I hope it's smooth sailing from here on out.
your lil' miracle....so glad to hear it - love and miss you
Yea for good news! Now you can focus on the fun stuff...like getting everything ready! Let me know if you want to go baby shopping sometime!
I am so glad that things are ok. I hope that all goes well in the upcoming months and look forward to more happy news.
Corene,
What a roller coaster. I am so glad everything has worked out so far. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is smoohter than the first. Love ya.
Shari
Corene,
I'm so glad everything is ok. You have been through so much. I hope things continue to go well. Take care of yourself and rest up! We are thinking about you guys. Brock
Also, your little bump is darling. You look great!!
That was a roller coaster just reading that post. i was freaking out. Thank the big "G" "O" "D" everything turned out alright. Wow. You are in our prayers.
Post a Comment