Bingham

Bingham

Friday, December 11, 2009

Athen Oustad Bingham

Introducing...

The newest member of our little family -


Athen Oustad Bingham
December 6, 2009 10:39pm
7lbs 15oz. 19.5"

Delivery Story: (don't read if you don't want details)
My contractions started Saturday night at 3:30am. By the time the alarm went off at 7:00am so Rick and I could get ready for ward council, the contractions were 10 minutes apart. I told Rick that this was it and that I didn't think we would be making it to ward council or church today. We waited a little for them to get closer together but since we had a hour drive to the hospital, we decided to get over in the general area. We walked around the outdoor Stanford mall for a few hours to help the process along (don't worry we didn't do any shopping. However, people were staring at us a little bit, especially when I would tell Rick it's starting, time it and then I would do some breathing exercises). Finally at 4 minutes apart we headed across the street to the hospital, wondering if they would take us or send us away. Sure enough they took us and sent the anathesiologist in to give me the epidural. It seemed pretty early for that but by the time it was done, my last contraction was getting pretty painful so it ended up being perfect timing in my eyes. The epidural worked wonders on the contractions, I couldn't feel a thing. Rick and my mom felt a little jipped that they didn't get to help me breathe, rub lavender lotion on me, massage me etc. I sat around with a smile on my face, pain free, chatting with them for about 4 or 5 hours. They finally checked me and said I was at a 10 and it was time to push. I couldn't feel a thing so pushing wasn't working out so well. They had to lower the epidural dose and sure enough the pain came flooding in. I pushed for 2.5 hours with all my strength and might. I had no idea it would be so painful. Who ever said epidurals make for a painless labor is soooo wrong. 

My little guy came sunny side up which was difficult for both him and I. Besides for the fact that he was pretty big for me (almost an 8 pounder) his head was off to the side, which was rough on him and made it more difficult for me to push him out. The doctor told me I needed to push harder or I would have to have a c-section - I pushed harder. He came out with a cone shapped head that was off to the right. Rick took one look at him and thought, that can't be normal - but I will love him anyway.  A few hours later the cone head was gone and his perfectly round head appeared. However, the trauma caused the little guy to get jaundice. 

The delivery caused me a little damage downstairs including severe swelling and 3rd degree tears with a million stiches (40 minutes worth of stitching). Needless to say 5 days later I still can't move or sit too well and am trying to recover.

Our little man has had a difficult time eating from the jaundice. He is so sleepy that he has no interest in eating and lost a lot of weight the first few days. We have been back to the doctor's (an hour away) everyday all day since he was born. We are working with a lactation consultant to help us get some food in him. It has been tough and a little stressful and we hope he gets better sooner.

I was going to write a little about the name and some other things but I think I will try and get some sleep instead. I will add more when I have time later.


Isn't are little guy beautiful!

10 comments:

Mariah said...

Congrats Corene and Rick! He is a beautiful baby. I can't wait to see him.

Janelle said...

Labor and delivery is not the prettiest, now is it? But somehow we forget and in due time want more children!

He's such a beautiful baby. Hopefully he'll start eating. I had latching issues with Zoe and it makes life difficult in the first couple of weeks. Hang in there, I'm sure he'll come around.

As for getting your rest and recovering - keep taking it easy and let us know if you need anything...we can come to you!

Leslie said...

Guys he's beautiful and all the suffering to bring him in the world is all worth it. I agree with Mama J, take it easy and don't push yourself...enjoy the sweets moments with your baby.

JODI and JOHN said...

CONGRATULATIONS!-- how exciting. What a beautiful little boy. You will be amazed at how fast your body recovers. Great job Corene, you did it!

Managers.Magnolia said...

I'm in love! Nuff said!!! Call if you need anything! We deliver!!

bfav said...

He looks so much like corene. so cute. love the name too.

Kristina said...

He is so darling! Congrats! I hope you heal quickly! That is the worst part, but the cuteness of the baby makes up for it. I am so excited for you both!

Lindy & Trever said...

Congratulations, what a cutie!

Anupa Harvey said...

Congratulations you guys! Happy Parenting! :)

MAEH said...

Corene, what's your email? I wanted to ask you a question about your recovery? If that's okay. Mine is aprilanne22@gmail.com. We love seeing pics of Athen and I love the name.