Bingham

Bingham

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day to Day

So what have Athen and I been doing day to day lately? Let's see... Athen is 5 months old today. He rolled over for the first time on Sunday. He rolled over 3 times in a row in his crib while Rick was in the bathroom. Rick came running in to see but he was all done by the time he got there. He hasn't rolled over since. He is still a pretty happy baby. Every now and then he has his days. He has recently learned how to screech or fake cry even if he isn't hungry or wet, but for the most part he is still a delight. He loves to cruise around the loft in his walker. Luckily he has a ton of space to do that. He also likes his big plastic toy thingy that he can move up and down and spin around in with all the toys surrounding him. He had a week there where he would wake up in the middle of the night several times screeching and not wanting to go back to sleep. The Mickey was a love/hate toy during that time. We have since then taken away the Mickey for sleeping and given him a silky blanket to snuggle up to instead. It works but not as well as the Mickey. This past week sleep has been back to normal and he has been enjoying the night.



We just got a play and pack for Athen so he can start to get used to it before we travel with it this summer. He takes his naps in it over by the bathroom where it is darker and a little less noisy (since it isn't by the large window).

On Friday, I made a cake for a friend in the ward who just got married the weekend before. They didn't really have a chance to celebrate so I thought I would make them a little wedding cake. It was a red velvet cake with a cream cheese frosting and fondant. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the inside. It think it turned out cute and I was happy with how the shape of the cake turned out.





This last weekend we went to Palo Alto for a BBQ/party for our friends who are moving. It was fun to see a bunch of our old friends and their babies, but sad to see friends go.

I tried a new recipe the other day for dinner. It was a pasta with a cheesy cream sauce with ham, bacon, chicken, asparagus and fresh tomatoes on top. I made a roux first and then added some cream, milk, broth, cheddar and parmesan cheese (It was definately much lighter than my normal cream sauce, but still good). I then sliced up some ham and added some brown sugar to a pan and sauted it with some shallots until a little caramelized (it was very good and added a nice sweetness to the dish). I added the sauce to the pasta and topped with chicken, bacon, ham, asparagus and some fresh tomatoes. Everything was hot except the fresh tomatoes which were cold. They added a nice lightness to the dish. It was very colorful, had lots of different textures and flavors. Rick liked it.

I wanted to make some homemade poppyseed and sesame seed rolls this morning while Athen is napping but I used my last egg last night. Maybe I will pick up some eggs at the store on our walk/run this afternoon. For dinner tonight I am trying another new recipe. It has crispy red potatoes sliced, with shredded chicken, bacon and cheese. It looks delicious. This recipe and the one above is from justgetoffyourbuttandbake.com.

Next week I am hosting a girl reunion for the weekend with my best friends and roommates from college. I can't wait. It is going to be fun. We haven't seen each other since my wedding weekend. We are going to go to the beach and the city, hot tub, stay up late in our jams and eat fondue and talk about the glory days! Can't wait!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Your cake looks so YUMMY and I'm definitely jealous that you're going to the beach!