Bingham

Bingham

Monday, April 23, 2012

This is what I have been up to.

Remember when I first got my sewing machine a few years ago and I decided to try and make a quilt? Well, I decided to finally finish it. When I first got my sewing machine I went to Walmart and bought some cheap fabric and started sewing pieces together. I had no clue what I was doing so I didn't want to spend lots of money on designer fabric. I spent about $25 on fabric. After I sewed the square together I had no idea how to do the rest so it sat in my sewing drawer for a few years. A few weeks ago I decided to get it out and have my mom help me with the next steps. She just recently took some quilting classes and knows how to do it. I decided to use an old yellow flannel sheet as the back of my quilt. I didn't want to spend more money on it since it is my first one and isn't perfect, plus I like having flannel on the back it makes it more cozy. I bought some batting at the store at 50% off so it wasn't too expensive. One Monday afternoon I pinned it sewed it and was ready to bind it. I picked out a coraly polka dot Riley Blake fabric which I love for the binding (probably the most expensive part of the blanket) and I think it turned out pretty good for my first quilt.



I have also been working on putting our vacations into Shutterfly books. Each vacation gets its own book. I think they are turning out so cute. I still have a few more countries to do  before I am caught up.


This is our family book section on our bookshelves. Our birthday books, wedding book, family christmas book, family journal, blog books and all our vacation books. I love it.

This weekend we made an offer on a house so we didn't go house hunting (we got out bid by 100-150 thousand). Instead we headed over to Alameda so I could get my hair cut and then hit some estate sales. This area is great for garage and estate sales. There are so many old people around that you can find all these great things.

I bought 9 old vintage drinking glasses for 50 cents each. I love them. They will be perfect for out door entertaining in my new big beautiful backyard (when I get one soon). Can't you just see some nice strawberry basil mojitos (alcohol free of course)  with ice in these puppies.


I also got an old silver butter dish for $3. Of course it needs to be polished but it is lovely.

I bought an old red and white checkered table cloth which is in great condition and perfect for picnics at the park or in the back yard. It was only $1.

And last but not least we got an old RC Cola bottle. Of course we had to get this.

No comments: