Bingham

Bingham

Sunday, October 3, 2010

A little of this and a little of that




A little of this...
This was a nice conference weekend. Athen was down for his nap for the morning session of conference so Rick and I cuddled up in our cozy bed next to our 30 foot window. The windows were filled with grey skies and the first signs of fall, which I love. It was an enjoyable session all curled up around my sweetheart. In between sessions we had some delicious cheesy eggs and bacon. After the second session we took a family drive. We drove through the city and headed over to the coast. We went to Montara beach and enjoyed the beautiful scenery along the 1. The waves were wild and roaring. We enjoyed a walk along the beach an let Athen play around in the sand for a bit. He enjoyed it much more than he ever has in the past.






We got home and I made some Mahi Mahi for dinner. I made a marinade with olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, pepper and a little salt. It was spicy but good. Next time I think I will serve it with coconut rice and mango salsa which is what it recommended but we didn't have any coconut milk or mangoes on hand.


A little of that...
I decided I wanted to work on a sewing project. As you probably know, I am not much of a sewer but am trying to develop my sewing weekness into a hidden talent. I decided I would try a quilt. This is pretty funny of me since I barely know how to sew let alone do quilting. I checked out a few quilting blogs to see if I could inspire myself and find a fun looking quilt. I found a Michael Miller quilt that I thought I might be able to copy. Since I don't know what I am doing, I decided NOT to spend a fortune on designer fabric. So off to Walmart I went. The nice thing about this quilt is that it is all black and white so I didn't have to deal with colors and placement etc. I spent $15 on fabrics for my very large quilt. You would think that for my first one I would start off with something small, but no it's pretty big. In fact it almost covers my king size bed. Anyway, I just started cutting squares on Thursday and by Saturday I had sewn them all together. The top piece is done. Now what do I do????? Like I said, I have no idea how to quilt. My friend told me I need some kind of quilting foot for my sewing machine. I guess I will head to the store on Monday and buy a quilting foot and ask them what I put in the middle of the quilt. For the back side I think I am going to go with a color, as well as the binding. The front will be all black and white except the binding. Wish me luck! If I mess up I only spent $15 on the fabric for the front.


some pieces a little off


most pieces are pretty exact


the finished piece.

PS - Oh yeah, and the mister is almost walking. He can take about 4-5 steps on his own and then he falls down. He has no problem turning from what ever piece of furniture he is holding onto and walking away from it. He also walks back and forth in his play and pack with out holding on. He gets so happy when he does it. It is so cute. He is so proud of himself. He is a good little man, we love this kid to pieces.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Your quilt looks great! I can't believe you pieced it together so fast. Get your batting at JoAnnes using their 40% or 50% coupon. I suggest Warm & White or Warm and Natural. It's not thick like you would think of batting being, but very warm. Also if you need help making the sandwich ( top/batting/back) let me know, I have quilting pins. And if it were me, I wouldn't use a free motion quilting foot for your first quilt, especially for a King size. I would either sew straight lines or have someone else quilt it. I just did a baby sized quilt for the first time and it's more difficult than I thought. You have to roll up the quilt just to quilt in certain places and it can be very frustrating and a tight squeeze. I also can help with your binding if needed. I can email you a website that I used for my first quilt. It was easy to follow. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Leslie said...

I can't believe the little mister is starting to walk! As for your quilt, love the fabric you chose...very pretty!!! Good Luck on your project, I'm sure it would come out great!

Anupa Harvey said...

Check you out--that quilt looks amazing! My recommendation is to get a sheet the size of your quilt and sew that on the backside of your batting. I also like the batting that Mama J suggested. Mine was "warm and natural." Good luck with the rest, call if you need help!